Coffee & Walnut Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Grease and flour 2 x 10 inch round cake tins.
- Cream the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs slowly whilst still whisking until the eggs are incorporated (If the mix curdles, don’t worry as it will come together when you add in the sieved flour)
- Add in the flour and whisk slowly until incorporated into the mix.
- Dissolve the coffee powder with the warm water and add it into the cake batter until it has also incorporated.
- Finally mix in the walnuts.
- Divide the batter equally into the 2 cake tins and bake at 180c for approx. 40 minutes until cooked.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes and remove from the tins and cool on a wire rack until fully cooled.
- Meanwhile place the softened butter and the sieved icing into a bowl and whisk until light and fluffy for approx. 5 minutes.
- Dissolve the coffee powder in the warm water and add this slowly to the icing and mix for a further 2 minutes.
- Place one of the cooled coffee sponge on a cake platter, spread half of the icing on top of this right out to the edge.
- Place the other sponge on top of the icing and spread the remainder of the icing on top of that. Decorate the top of the cake with walnuts as desired. (if you would like to have icing on the sides of the cake also, you can either spread the icing thinly or make twice the amount of icing.
- 340g butter (softened)
- 340g caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- 60ml warm water
- 4 tsp instant coffee powder
- 340g self raising flour
- 100g finely chopped walnuts
- For the buttercream
- 150g butter (softened)
- 500g icing sugar (sieved)
- 70ml warm water
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder
RECIPES YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Homemade Sundried Tomatoes
These deliciously sweet semi sundried tomatoes are so simple to make and much nicer than the store brought variety! July brings with it an abundance of tomatoes in the greenhouse and what better way to enjoy them all year round, and they are so versatile too! pop a few into a cream pasta sauce, serve on an artisan board or serve alongside baked fish. Enjoy!
Vegan & Gluten Free Avocado, Lime & Coconut cake
This cake is seriously yummy and healthy too! not only that, but its also gluten free and vegan too! i sliced it and topped it with my favourite crunchy nut butter and fresh berries. You can also top with a vegan chocolate spread, sliced bananas and toasted nuts. The creamy topping is made from whipped coconut and lime zest (very refreshing!) Give it a go end let me know how you get on. Top tip...make two! Enjoy!