Fluffy Fruit Scones
I love making scones, they are so quick and simple to make. This recipe makes lovely fluffy fruit scones. perfect with strawberry jam and cream. Pure indulgence!
- Preheat the oven to 200c
- Sieve together the flour, cinnamon and baking powder.
- Add in the sugar and give it a stir.
- Add in the butter and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until no butter remains to be seen.
- add in the sultanas and orange zest
- In a bowl, mix the egg and buttermilk together well.
- Fold in almost most of the wet mix to the dry mix using a fork but hold a little back to brush the top of the scones.
- When the mix comes together, place it on a floured board or table and shape into a round shape but be careful not to over knead as the scones will be tough.
- Roll out to approx. 1 inch thick with a rolling pen and using a scone cutter cut into scones and place onto a floured baking tray. You should get approx. 8 large or 12 medium scones from this batch.
- Brush the top of the scones with the remainder egg mix, and a sprinkle of sugar to give them a crunchy top.
- place the tray in the hot oven and bake for approx. 15 minutes depending on the size of the scones.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
- 450g self-raising flour
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 90g butter (softened)
- 2 eggs
- 220ml buttermilk
- 50g sultanas
- zest of 1/2 orange
RECIPES YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Homemade Sundried Tomatoes
These deliciously sweet semi sundried tomatoes are so simple to make and much nicer than the store brought variety! July brings with it an abundance of tomatoes in the greenhouse and what better way to enjoy them all year round, and they are so versatile too! pop a few into a cream pasta sauce, serve on an artisan board or serve alongside baked fish. Enjoy!