Lemon Drizzle Cake
Is it any surprise that lemon drizzle cake is one of the nation's favourite cake flavours? It's zesty, vibrant, moist and downright delicious.
- Preheat the oven to 170c.
- Grease an 8in round or square baking with butter and flour.
- Cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest with a whisk until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time whilst still whisking until they are incorporated.
- Sieve in all the flour and baking powder and lightly whisk until all the flour is incorporated.
- Pour in the milk to thin out the batter a little. (if you wish, you can add 1-2 tsp of poppyseed to the mix but ensure that the seeds are in date!)
- Pour the mix into the prepared baking tins and smooth out the top until flat.
- Place the cake in the oven and bake at 180c for approx. 40 minutes. The cake should feel springy to the touch.
- Meanwhile sieve the icing sugar and add the juice of 1 lemon until smooth.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, pour over the lemon glaze and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- 225g butter (softened)
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 lemons (zest only)
- 4 eggs
- 275g self raising flour
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- 50ml milk
- Lemon Glaze
- 150g Icing sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
RECIPES YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Homemade Sundried Tomatoes
These deliciously sweet semi sundried tomatoes are so simple to make and much nicer than the store brought variety! July brings with it an abundance of tomatoes in the greenhouse and what better way to enjoy them all year round, and they are so versatile too! pop a few into a cream pasta sauce, serve on an artisan board or serve alongside baked fish. Enjoy!
Vegan & Gluten Free Avocado, Lime & Coconut cake
This cake is seriously yummy and healthy too! not only that, but its also gluten free and vegan too! i sliced it and topped it with my favourite crunchy nut butter and fresh berries. You can also top with a vegan chocolate spread, sliced bananas and toasted nuts. The creamy topping is made from whipped coconut and lime zest (very refreshing!) Give it a go end let me know how you get on. Top tip...make two! Enjoy!