Orange & Cranberry Biscotti
Biscotti is an Italian biscuit which is served alongside your favourite coffee. This is a basic recipe for biscotti and the variations can easily be changed when you omit the orange zest and cranberries. These make delicious edible Christmas gifts when packaged up with cellophane and ribbon. if stored in an airtight container, they last for ages. (if you can keep your hands off them!)
- Preheat the oven to 170c. line 2 large baking trays with baking parchment paper.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and mixed spice together. Add the caster sugar, cranberries & orange zest and give it a stir.
- Whisk up the eggs and add it to the dry mix and stir with your hands or wooden spoon until it all comes together as a dough, then knead until smooth.
- Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and divide into 2 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a sausage shape approx. 30cm long and lightly flatten each piece so that it is approx. 3cm deep (it should look similar to a long ciabatta bread).
- Bake for approx. 25 minutes until it spreads, feels firm and takes on a light brown colour. Remove from the oven and cool completely until fully cold.
- Place on a wooden board and slice diagonally using a carving or bread knife (with teeth) at approx. 2cm wide. Place each slice flat back on the baking trays and bake for a further 15 minutes at 140c, then turn them over and back the under side for another 15 minutes at 140c until the biscotti are dry and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for 1 month.
- These make the perfect foodie gifts, as soon as they are cool, place them in a tightly secured cellophane bag and secure with ribbon.
- These can also be dipped in chocolate or add pistachio for a contrasting colour.
- Enjoy dipped into your favourite coffee or hot chocolate.
- 300g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 250g caster sugar
- Jest of 1 orange
- 3 eggs
- 150g dried cranberries