Red Velvet Cake
- Preheat the oven to 175c.
- Grease 2 by 8 or 9 inch round springform cake tins
- Cream together the softened butter and sugar using an electric whisk until it is white and fluffy (approx. 6-7 mins)
- In a separate bowl whisk together all the liquids including the eggs, set aside!
- In another separate bowl, sieve all the dry ingredients together.
- Add 1/3 of the wet ingredients into the butter and sugar mix while still mixing, then add in 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the mix. Continue this process until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Divide the cake mix equally into 2 prepared cake tins.
- Place in oven and bake for approx 30 minutes until the sponge springs back when lightly touched.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 20 minutes before taking them out of the tins and cool fully on a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile…for the buttercream, whisk together the softened butter, icing sugar and vanilla essence together until creamy, then add in the cream cheese and continue mixing while adding a little milk at a time to soften up the mix to get the right consistency.
- Place 1 sponge onto a large plate, spread approx 1/3 of the buttercream on top of this and spread it out until smooth.
- Place the remaining sponge on top of this and spread the remainder of the buttercream over the top and sides of the cake until smooth. Decorate as desired with raspberries or strawberries. Enjoy!
- 120g softened butter
- 300g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 180ml cooking oil
- 10g cocoa powder
- 40ml red food colouring (not Gel)
- 20ml white vinegar
- 2 tsps vanilla essence
- 1 tsp bread soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 250ml buttermilk
- 350g self raising flour
- CREAM CHEESE BUTTERCREAM
- 400g cream cheese
- 120g softened butter
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 450g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
RECIPES YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Homemade Sundried Tomatoes
These deliciously sweet semi sundried tomatoes are so simple to make and much nicer than the store brought variety! July brings with it an abundance of tomatoes in the greenhouse and what better way to enjoy them all year round, and they are so versatile too! pop a few into a cream pasta sauce, serve on an artisan board or serve alongside baked fish. Enjoy!
Vegan & Gluten Free Avocado, Lime & Coconut cake
This cake is seriously yummy and healthy too! not only that, but its also gluten free and vegan too! i sliced it and topped it with my favourite crunchy nut butter and fresh berries. You can also top with a vegan chocolate spread, sliced bananas and toasted nuts. The creamy topping is made from whipped coconut and lime zest (very refreshing!) Give it a go end let me know how you get on. Top tip...make two! Enjoy!