Rhubarb & Custard New-York style Baked Cheesecake
Who doesn't creamy New-York style baked cheesecake! The combination of custard and rhubarb cuts through the creaminess of the cheesecake, making it a perfect after dinner dessert. Although the process of baking it in a tray of water sounds daunting to some, trust me, its worth it and ensures a creamy texture to the finished cake. Enjoy!
- Preheat the oven to 165c. Grease and flour a 10 or 12inch springform cheesecake tin. Wrap the bottom and sides of the baking tin with large sheets of tinfoil to ensure water cannot leak into the cheesecake during cooking as it will be baked in a tray of water (au bain-marie).
- Crush biscuits in a food processor until they resemble crumbs and add in the melted butter and blitz for a few more seconds. Pour the biscuit mix into the base of the baking tin and spread it out and push it down with the base of a glass until compounded. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes and allow to cool.
- Place all the cheesecake ingredients into a food processor and blitz until a smooth and creamy (20 seconds) Do not overmix! Pour all the cheesecake mix into the baking tin on top of the baked biscuit mix. Using a small spoon, add 1/3 of the rhubarb into the creamy mix and disperse throughout the cheesecake mix.
- Place the tin in a deep roasting tray with 2 inches of hot water. The hot water helps to give the cheesecake a lovely creamy consistency and stops it from cracking! Bake for 1hr 20 mins at 165c. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before removing the cheesecake from the tin.
- For the stewed rhubarb, place the rhubarb, sugar, water, and ginger in a medium pot and bring to the boil, allow to simmer until you have a jammy consistency, and the rhubarb starts to break up. Allow to cool.
- Remove the cooled cheesecake from the tin and dress the top of it with the remainder stewed rhubarb. Slice and serve cold. Enjoy!
For the base...
- 300g Digestive biscuits
- 100g melted butter.
For the cheesecake....
- 800g full fat cream cheese
- 300g Caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 5 eggs + 3 egg yolks (at room temperature!)
- 200ml cream
- 1 tbsp custard powder
For the stewed rhubarb....
- 350g chopped pink stem rhubarb(2” pieces)
- 150g granulated sugar
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 70ml water