The Best Chocolate Cake Recipe Ever!
My quest to find the best chocolate cake recipe ever has finally come to fruition. Not only is it super moist and tasty, it's also super easy to make too! To add a touch of glamour, it can be decorated with some berries and edible flowers. This recipe is certainly a keeper and its been my go to recipe for the ultimate chocolate cake. Enjoy!
- Preheat the oven to 175c. Grease and flour two 10” round springform cake tins.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, bread soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add in both sugars and give it a mix to distribute the sugar into the dry mix.
- Combine the sour cream, oil, eggs, and vanilla essence in a separate bowl until combined (1 minute). Pour this mix into the large bowl with the dry mix and using an electric mixer, mix for about 5 minutes on medium speed until well blended. Slowly add the hot coffee until is combined in the mix.
- Pour the cake mix equally into the 2 baking tins and bake for 40 minutes. Check the cake with a skewer to ensure it is cooked fully. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before icing.
For the chocolate fudge icing...
- Place the chocolate, cream and honey in a pot and bring to the boil whilst stirring. When the mix has fully melted, whisk in the sieved cocoa powder, then the sour cream. Pour the mix into a large bowl and allow it to cool for 30 minutes.
- Using an electric whisk/ mixer, whisk the mix until it starts to thicken and lighten a bit (10 minutes). If its still warm, place in the bowl in the refrigerator until it has cooled down.
- Place one chocolate sponge on a large plate and spread it with 2 tbsp of icing on top of the cake. Place the second sponge on top and spread the icing over the top and sides of the cake and decorate as desired. Chill the cake for 30 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
- 300g caster sugar
- 150g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 160ml sunflower oil
- 240ml sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 300ml hot coffee
- 330g plain flour
- 80g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bread-soda
Chocolate fudge icing
- 300g dark chocolate(roughly chopped)
- 180ml pouring cream.
- 50ml honey
- 20g cocoa powder (sieved)
- 120ml sour cream